1950's Lot of Three Leather Bound Crosley Book Radios, Enchantment, As You Like It and Fantasy Transister Radios. Mid 20th century Crosley transistor ‘book’ radios. A print advertisement from 1955 reads, ‘This year, give ’volumes’ of pleasure … give the brand new, all new Crosley Book Radio. It looks like a book. It’s bound like a book, in genuine leather. Yet, when you opened the cover, it was an exquisite little radio, with tone and volume never dreamed possible….’ This radio was available in six different colors and designs. The 'Fantasy, ‘As You Like It’ and 'Enchantment' untested versions are offered here.
Most battery tube sets are sold as non-working, because most, including I, wouldn't know where to even get the batteries, and even then, the Electrolytic filter caps are usually in need of replacement in order to allow the radio to function.
Hybrids were made by Crosley, Emerson, and Automatic Radio, for the Tom Thumb and Firestone badges.
They used sub miniature tubes in the RF and IF stages, and Transistors in the audio output circuit. The advantage of tubes in those sections of the receiver was for their superior ability to handle RF frequencies, vs Transistors at the time. Transistors in the audio stage consumed very little current, an advantage over tubes.
Origin United States
- minor scratches, marks, and wear. personal gold leaf inscription on the inside cover of two books.
4.5" W x 7.0" H x 2.0" D
• Number of Tubes
• Valves / Tubes
• 1V6 1AH4 1AJ5
• Number of Transistors
• 2N109 2N109
• Main principle
• Superheterodyne (common); ZF/IF 455 kHz; 2 AF stage(s)
• Tuned circuits
• 6 AM circuit(s)
• Wave bands
• Broadcast only (MW).
• Power type and voltage
• Dry Batteries / 3.75 & 45 Volt
• Permanent Magnet Dynamic (PDyn) Loudspeaker (moving coil) / Ø 2.75 inch = 7 cm
• Leather / canvas / plastic - over other material
• Design Radio or Novelty / Gadget - fancy or unusual shape.
• Dimensions (WHD)
• 4.4 x 7 x 1.9 inch / 112 x 178 x 48 mm